What is Periodontal Disease?
- Periodontal Disease is an infection located under the gumline, that can be caused by plaque buildup.
- ARESTIN® (minocycline hydrochloride) is specially formulated to kill the bacteria that cause the inflammation and infection.
- The antibiotic is injected directly into the pockets of bacteria that cause periodontal disease, allowing for targeted treatment of the infected areas.
- After the surrounding teeth have been scaled and have had root planing done, the antibiotic will be applied. The scaling is needed to remove plaque and bacteria that is below the surface of the gums, which makes it resistant to daily cleanings.
- ARESTIN® works as soon as it is applied to fight the source of the infection, and continues to fight the bacteria even after you leave the office. 1,2ARESTIN® can help fight the bacterial build up for up to 30 days, as well as reducing,2 as well as proving better protection than scaling and root planning can ensure over the course of 90 days.3
- Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
- Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
- Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.